Boy, was I wrong in my notion that if there was more info above the fold it would look good to Goog. I conducted an experiment on a couple web-pages that ranked pretty well. Over a month’s time they lost about one-quarter of their traffic. Today, I ratcheted the pages back to the previous iteration. Hopefully, they will return to normal.
I confess, I am not heartbroken, I did not particularly like the new look. Of course, had it done well on the search engines, I could have prettied it up. What I did like about it was the fact that it was configured so that I could isolate the content completely from the structure, so any changes I wanted to make across the board could be done easily. However, there was a drawback to this. It made it difficult for me to tailor info to specific pages.
Well, I will likely keep experimenting. But not for a while. Here is the old new look: